Tuesday 27 November 2007

Very Bad Sex

A survey conducted on behalf of the book, Sex in America, revealed that only 61% of 18-24 year-old women regularly, or usually, achieve orgasm during sex. C'mon guys, sort it out. On a much more humorous note, or shall I say posthumous, Norman Mailer has been awarded the literary Bad Sex Award for 2007. Apparently, the likening of male genitalia to "a coil of excrement" swung it for the judges. Coincidentally, the Vagina Monologues are set to play throughout February at my university, and given my student-induced open-mindedness I shall look forward to it with interest. If the judges were influenced by the reduction of male piety to faeces, then I'm sure they would have enjoyed Ian McEwan's wonderful On Chesil Beach where the male protagonist was reduced to a quivering premature ejaculation sufferer. It's book-ended a disappointing year for McEwan, but I'm sure he'll come back with another resounding comment on love and relationships to sweep the annual awards.