Monday 19 November 2007

The Law of Evolution

After I questioned my lecturer about the appropriateness of the Law of Evolution he backed down somewhat "reminding" me that we must protect the sensitivities of those around us on a global scale. He makes a point of acknowledging the differing beliefs and sensibilities during his class, so what should I expect. Today, in fact, we were given an unique treat of experiencing the Kuiper Space Sciences Presentation - I light display very similar to the London Planetarium's centrepiece. I visited the Planetarium when I was eight or nine years old but the profound visuals were lost on me. Here though, I was reminded of the nature of our place amongst the galaxies and universes (plural). If I wanted to, I could now adopt my Joycean prose technique and dissect the collective insignificance of our existence, but I won't. Overall, I was touched by the sensual dichotomy of light versus dark, the stars versus space, moon versus crater, etc. As the professor takes pains to point out, evolution is not experienced only in the organic world; we see the mutation of hydrogen atoms to helium atoms, the death of stars, the formation of galaxies from inter-galactic dust. If anything, this all supports the definition: the Law of Evolution.