Wednesday 21 November 2007

Sleuth

More from the film canon today as I bring further attention to Sleuth, a British film starring Jude Law and Michael Caine, based on the play by Anthony Shaffer, and adapted by the brilliant Harold Pinter. Everything seems ripe for a classic. Unfortunately, however, it appears that isn't the case, as this reviewer describes: not bad, but not very good either. As yet, I haven't heard from the gospel, Mark Kermode, but I'll relay the news as it happens. Also, I'm an avid reader of Jeffrey Archer's blog (even if it is sporadically updated), and he saw a special screening recently only to be disappointed in the same way. Oh well - I could always just watch these again. Whilst I'm here though, Jeffrey's new book, A Prisoner of Birth, has undergone it's final drafting before being sent to the publishers. I repeatedly curse myself for never taking the time to read his epic novels, but maybe now's the time.