Thursday 22 November 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Today brings another in the series of American holidays that I've brought you since I begun here in August. Thanksgiving is the staple celebration of American lifestyle every year; it brings unity to scattered families, and provides a valued excuse to eat until you burst. Similar to 'Labour Day', no one seemed to know the true origins of the Thanksgiving tradition: but, it seems obvious now, the truth is in the name. I was invited to my coach's house for a large gathering of friends and teammates, which everyone thoroughly enjoyed. And I was glad to note that no Christian rhetoric was brought to the fore to taint the proceedings. This was simply an occasion of celebration - to appreciate the riches of our situation and how fortunate we really are. Today has been my favorite of the recent national holidays. Happy Thanksgiving.