Monday 25 February 2008

Opinion on Opinion

One of my fellow student-athletes here at the university has landed himself in trouble after claiming in a survey (in a survey!) that "Freud's theories are crap". Now, he wouldn't be the first 'philosopher' to say so, and nor is this necessarily an indefensible position. The reason, then, that he is in trouble is because he has "offended" his professor, some doddery old woman, who, presumably, has dedicated her life to much of the Freudian teachings. Personally, I have not studied Freud, or even picked up The Future of an Illusion, but I would suppose that the guy who said this had at least a basic understanding of Freudian psychology. As a principle, I would suggest not to say anything about something of which you know nothing about, but this is not applicable here. Even if he did know or comprehend nothing of Freud's psycho-analytics, this does not purport to the lame grievances of his professor. As I have commented in my previous post on anti-religious offensiveness, it is often the frailty of one's situation that exacerbates the propensity to take offence. Indeed, if I were to assert to a Muslim, concerning the reproduction of Allah's will through the illiterate businessman, Mohammad, that I believe it never happened, he might point his finger to the sky and say, "Aha! You have just offended a billion Muslims!" - as if this supposed offence I have caused will change my opinion or, perhaps, withhold me from repeating it. And so it appears, I even have an opinion on opinion.

No comments: