Sunday 17 February 2008

Build Up That Wall

Regularly visiting Christopher Hitchens' website, Build Up That Wall, is something I've taken to doing recently, surrounding myself with those articles, video clips and books that I find myself feeling immense affinity. Last night, following my return, I sat down to enjoy Hitchens debate the Jewish Rabbi and prolific writer, Schmuley Boteach. Without wanting to goad, Hitchens came out on top. With his highly convincing argument now sharpened and tweaked to leave all in its wake, the audience was jeering the reproachable white noise of Boteach's later spoutings. Likewise, Hitchens proposes, again, a worthy cause for our attention in Slate this week when writing about Ayaan Hirsi Ali - the author of The Caged Virgin, concerning women and Islam, to which she received numerous viable death threats. So now is our chance to "forward the struggle against barbarism and intimidation".

No comments: