Sunday 24 February 2008

Brideshead Revisited

For my final piece of A Level coursework I wrote a lengthy and in-depth essay into Evelyn Waugh's best work, Brideshead Revisited (behind the also brilliant, Decline and Fall) entitled: How does Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited reflect the changes in British society between the wars? If you're interested, the .pdf file is available online here. So when news of a new British film made in homage to the book appeared on my screen I sat up and took note. Some of my older readers may recall the BBC miniseries aired in 1981 based on the novel, with picturesque scenes of Oxford colleges, aristocracy, and lush interior sets. It was a series I watched as research for my essay, but I found myself entranced in the quirky charms of Sebastien and his teddy bear, Aloysius. And who could forget Jeremy Irons' convincing performance as our protagonist, Charles Ryder, the man torn between his familial obligations, his relationship with Sebastien, his love for Julia, and his increasingly self-destructive desires. All of this, as it stands, leaves me slightly pessimistic in light of the upcoming production. But nevertheless, it's something I'll look forward to as a cinema-goer.

No comments: