Wednesday 23 January 2008

Suicide

Firstly, I feel I must apologise for the below post as I was in a state of euphoric anguish as I struggled with sleep deprivation and irritability. I appreciate that any newcomers to this blog would have been put off wholeheartedly. Having said that, I shall keep the post online as a reference of my warped ambition. For those who know me, that political rant may have made some sense, moreso than to others. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. The news today has been coincidentally dominated by one underlying theme: suicide. If you weren't already aware of the cult of suicide present in Japan where suicide is often seen as honorable in comparison to shame, here's a quick overview. This seems to have sparked a following from internet-swayed Britons, which, in turn, has cast another investigative eye on profiling sites, particularly Facebook. What's more, the man who jumped from his balcony window in Crete, clutching his infant children was unbelievably found not guilty with regard to his derailed mental state: utter bollocks. I sympathise strongly with the mother's words: "Liam lost his life for nothing". A little further afield, and a little presumptuous, but Heath Ledger has done himself a huge injustice by "catching the bus" early. More is still to be discovered about the cause of his death, but let's assume it was suicide; who then was in a more stable state? Ledger, or the falling father? A simple thought experiment for you.