Monday 28 January 2008

'Laura' by Vladimir Nabokov

Admittedly, I am not the most well-encompassed Nabokov reader, but I have read Lolita to, I'm almost disappointed to say, little effect. Perhaps I fall under the category of what Dmitri Nabokov (Vladimir Nabokov's son, now 73) calls a "Lolitologist", or a "misinterpreter". Either way, I feel wholly sympathetic to his current moral dilemma - posthumously appease his father's wish and burn the unfinished manuscript of his work, Laura, or agree to the impassioned appeals of the literary world and publish the work, going against the perfectionist methodology of his father. This case reminds me of Samual Beckett's wish not to have his unfinished play, Elutheria, performed. (The tide seems to be turning on this case however, as the text was published in 1995.) In both cases, the living relatives of the writer should be allowed ample time and dedication of thought, without the pressure of hungry academics, to come to a conclusion. What impassions them more, for example, should be at the forefront of their choice-making.