Tuesday 27 May 2008

Two Developments

As the internet's uses keep evolving, I've discovered two little gems for your enjoyment. Both instances are, for me, annoyingly irksome - on the one hand, I want to keep it all to myself, but on the other hand, I can't help myself. So here you read the result of that conflict. The first is woot. If you haven't already heard of woot, you have a personal duty to go there now. Basically, it's an independent seller that brings you one item a day, for a dramatically reduced price. Since I've been visiting (only a couple of weeks), I've seen digital radios sell for ten bucks, and Xbox 360s go for 150. For my British readers, please accept my apologies, but there is, as yet, no overseas equivalent. Still, it's a chirpy conversation piece that renews everyday - to buy or not to buy? My second discovery dominated a recent article in The New York Times; cashback (yes, both are uncapitalized). This nifty new search engine from the guys at Windows takes current market ideas and betters them. If you want something, currently you can browse through the known vendors yourself, or employ one of those engines that does it for you, such as Google Product Search. However, in the same vein as the highly successful Google Ads, the seller pays Microsoft a percentage of the nett profit once you've made an order by way of saying thanks for directing your custom to them. Obviously, this money is yours, and once you've accumulated at least 5 dollars/pounds you can opt to draw that money out, or leave it there and add to it later. But, I hear you cry, this has some potential flaws; will you really get a substantial amount of the money back? Will you have to pay more in the first place? Is the search among sellers comprehensive? Fear not, dear reader! The answers to all of these queries is answerable in the most positive tone of voice. They even include eBay as a vendor. I shall not bore you, for the site is there for your use and disposal. From what I can tell, this could be revolutionary.

No comments: