Saturday 7 February 2009

Here I'm Alive

Thom Yorke often gets asked why people think of him as miserable, and I refuse to accept his repeated retort of having "one of those voices". It's due in part to the documentary masterpiece by Grant Gee, Meeting People Is Easy, but it's more so due to interviews like this one, conducted in the wake of Kid A, an album that I now consider to be the greatest album ever recorded. It took me almost three years to come to this realisation, and it's a position I feel no inclination to defend; those who disagree with me have the right to be wrong. Whilst watching the above interview (intercut with footage of a live show in London c.2000) I've become quite sentimentally nostalgic, reliving the days of discovering Radiohead for the first time: listening, listening, listening. Street Spirit. Lucky. There There. Fake Plastic Trees. How to Disappear Completely. Before I start to sound even more like Mr Yorke, I'll quote Thom from the opening minutes:

Two years writing block. Writing stuff, throwing it away. It's like losing someone you love. I can't really say where it came from. The idea was that there was no plan, at all. We just had lots of ideas - half-formed ideas, and hoped that some of them would see themselves through.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Incredible interview.

Amnesiac's the best though.

Robert Iddiols said...

I can't stand the version of Morning Bell. The Kid A version is a classic, but I have to skip that one. Plus, I don't like the album version of LSP. Having said that, Hunting Bears and LIAGH more than make up for both.

I've just realised that I've tried to DEFEND my position. Shit. I'll stop.