Sunday 16 September 2007

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

I read this book over a year ago. For me, it didn't really live up to the expectations I had for it. After winning the Man Booker Prize in 2004, as well as my friends telling me "I had to read it", I thought it was going to be the next novel to influence my life. It wasn't. The conclusion was an anti-climax, it was confusing, and it was unbelievable. However, and this is a big however, news has just surfaced of a competition that was held for illustrators to interpret the text, and here is the winner. I thought at the time of reading this novel that it would benefit from pictoral support as it's a very vivid story. Not only does this add a much-needed dimension to the book, it also harnesses the images we, as readers, create in our head. The novel now becomes a coming together of the author's creativity, the reader's imagination, and the illustrator's interpretation. In my opinion, this makes the book worth reading.