Monday 25 May 2009

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

In the spirit of revivals, I've been reminded of this album. Jeff Mangum, the creative genius behind the music and lyrics, has been heralded as the JD Salinger of indie rock. His band was called Neutral Milk Hotel, and promptly disappeared off the face of the Earth in 1998 after the release of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, an album musing upon the life and death of Anne Frank.

Now, how I remember you;
How I would push my fingers through
Your mouth to make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet.
But now we keep where we don't know.
All secrets sleep in winter clothes
With one you loved so long ago.
Now we don't even know his name.
- Click. It really is a close contender for the best album ever recorder.

2 comments:

Jim Armshaw said...

I couldn't agree more. Music doesn't get much better than this.

Robert Iddiols said...

Nice one.