Sunday 2 November 2008

Something Nisexual

Something that's been on my thoughts now for sometime is the very obvious possibility of a previously unrecognised sexual identity: not heterosexual, nor homosexual, nor bisexual, but rather having no sexual attraction or arousal whatsoever. I've been scouring Google and JStor now for some time and there appears no definable term for this particular sexual anomaly. Although it appears to be acknowledged by some writers on the subject, even the most thorough in sexuality analysts sometimes neglect this latent state. The obvious conclusion, therefore, is that these such individuals merely assume themselves to be bisexual, thus circumventing the awkward questions that pertinently arise. Yet, there must be some sort of distinction between those who are actively and positively attracted to both male and female, in congruence with those who are simply attracted to neither. How could this be termed, I wonder? Asexual implies something else entirely. Nisexual, perhaps? In this sense, we can see how one might simply be nisexual and have experimented sexually with both sexes in a somewhat teenage curiosity test - which do I prefer, if any? Am I simply destined to never have a loving relationship like others report to because of some sort of unacknowledged sexual deviance? We can see how this may result in delusion - bisexuality appears less problematic than nisexuality. I feel there must be some sort of potential research to be done on this topic, or have I completely gone off the rails? Then again, I may be onto something...

No comments: