Sunday 30 November 2008

Hollah Triumph

I have spluttered, ruffled, and rollicked my way back to you, Follower. It has been a long and arduous three weeks dearly departed. What can I say? I have entered and returned from what appears to be a highly unproductive reverie of sorts. Not only has my beloved been and gone in this time, but it's also left an indelible mark on my heart that has clawed it's wretched fingers into a gap and pulled apart a chasm. I have filled the void with contemplative reflection, good literature, cheap orange juice, and the proliferation of whimsicality. This blog will have a distinctively rejuvenated aesthetic when I return from England in the new year, but until then, mainly these coming three weeks, I shall retake the reigns of this blog from inconsequence and offer cankerous sniffles and wriggles wheresoever I see fit. How can I describe my early ventures to the nation's Capitol? How long ago those forays now seem. I can tell you, dear pilgrim, that I met your president, shook his hand, smiled a lame grin, and belted my pre-empted attack with all the vigour of a wheelchair-bound war veteran: "Greetings from the Untied Kingdom!". His reply: "A powerful ally". His gaze held mine, as it had done since I gripped his ageing mitten between my veined and gnarled fingers. What followed was a period lasting some two or three minutes wherein I maintained his divided attention. Malcontent with this statement I plunged and probed deeper, scraping at the fleshy remains of his intelligence. He told me that he was having dinner with Blair in the coming week at the White House and that Blair was a strongly convictioned man; someone who has upheld his most fundamental beliefs beyond his time in office (an endeavour Bush seems wont to follow). Here came his only gag, a smile-cracking head-tilter; when a girl called upon her graduation and asked for a job, Bush replied that "come February, Ill be looking for a job!" to the rapturous smirks of college students. There was not a dry eye in the house. And then, with all the briskness of a man who will be similarly riddanced, he left. One picture surfaced of our encounter. Alas, it captures nothing. Returning to the Capitol itself, the stately home of our great protagonist, I can only observe that never before, in any country worldwide, has so much space, effort, and money been spent in dedication to the remembering of a nation's heroes and the honouring of its history. This, I pointed out rather markedly in a short speech I gave at a reception that very evening, is unique. Something compelled me to add the addendum: "even as bereft as your country is of history and culture". I can say without ego that I was laughed at. Heartily, but warmly. Much more is to follow, sirs and madams. My love to all.

No comments: