Tuesday 4 November 2008

Huzzah!

It's happened. Everything happened in the space of about a minute. Obama sat comfortably in the polls with just over 200 electoral votes taken, and then CNN announced he'd won Virginia. That was always going to be one to look out for as an index. (They've voted Republican consistently since 1964.) Seconds after that was settled, the West coast results flooded in to give Obama 297, well above what we expected earlier. We won't know until the morning, though, whether he got to my 396.

...He just won Florida. Wow.

After it became morally and intellectually impossible to support the vulgar Republican machine, could we foresee any other outcome? Lots of images of black people crying on the television. Good for them. Now it's time for journalists to really get their teeth into what's to come; usher in the new era. As fortune has it, I'm meeting the president next week (Bush, not Obama) and I'm open to suggestions as to what exactly I should say. There's supposedly a detailed document devoted to fine-lining the proper practice when meeting the president, first lady, etc. But I'm willing to ignore it if there are any particularly good suggestions. I've already had one, but I somehow don't think he'd find it funny...

No comments: