Sunday 2 November 2008

Ba. Hons.

I am a happy man, dear reader. Not simply a new blog, but a new world of undertaking awaits. Christopher Hitchens has been writing a blog or the UK Mirror now for the last few days, documenting (mainly) the American elections under the title, Politics, War, and Religion. Once again, I'm left aghast, how did I not uncover this before? Moreover, you can now identify yourself as a regular pilgrim of this minor blogging foray - please join this very exclusive club by clicking the tab on the right. You are now a peer of the realm. It's time to muster some brand loyalty. Equally as important, though slightly more personal, is my recent dealings with the English Honors Department here at the university. My softly spoken, but highly intelligent (obviously) English Professor, Larry Evers, has passed my name on to the head of the department, a position he used to hold, as one of his best ever students. Apparently, this is a unique and unprecedented occurrence, and so, if I wish to be inducted into the honors department, they will accommodate my every desire. I could not be more proud, delighted, and, indeed, honored. Being recognised in such a way, as much as my ego purports, is highly gratifying. The application process for me individually, I'm told, is now merely academic for paper reference. It made me splutter my tea to read their email - never before have I been confronted with such a contradiction in teaching standards and expectations; on the one hand, I'm receiving well below the class average for essays that reveal a much higher intellect than that of their marker, yet on the other I'm being personally recommended to figureheads of the university. Perhaps now they'll take note. I shall keep you informed.

No comments: