Wednesday 12 March 2008

No Oathing Please

I am repulsed, annoyed, revolted, irritated, sickened by the idea of pledging an oath of allegiance to the Queen and country. Needless to say, I have fantasized many times about sitting down in protest against the British national anthem if I happen to win an Olympic Gold medal. Imagine that - an athlete making his own historical mark of personal integrity by having the courage to silently protest the absurd calling: "god save our queen" - redundant on a number of levels, I'm sure you'll agree. With regard to the monarchy, Thomas Paine wrote: "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right." The sooner we can shirk the childhood indoctrination into supposedly divine autocracy, the sooner Britain will formulate a true cultural identity.

2 comments:

James Poulter said...

Youth Olympics?


...mate my blog is over, I have the attention span of a squirrel, I can learn no more from it. Adobe photoshop is my current craze xxx

Robert Iddiols said...

I should have done...

It's a shame your blog is no more - I was keenly checking back twice a day awaiting an update. I did enjoy it while it lasted, but unfortunately, blogs take an unforeseeable about of motivation and dedication. (Maybe you could post about PhotoShop?)