Saturday 1 March 2008

Mount Improbable

Continuing my quest on biological understanding, I've now finished Dawkins' Climbing Mount Improbable, a very approachable book explaining and elaborating the very essence of Darwinian evolution. As he says, we cannot simply bound up Mount Improbable in one leap, but we can conquer the climb with short, bite-size pathways on a gradual slope. In short, I've learnt more from this book than I did from four years of secondary school biology. Children would be fascinated by some of the examples and creature quirks that Dawkins presents here. If only teachers would model their lesson plans on some of the topics raised in this book. Rather than revisit photosynthesis over and over again, teachers could explore the forms of mollusc shells, or the mutual exploitation of figs and fig wasps. Oh well. The last time I remember learning this much from a book was when I read through Bill Bryson's superb, A Short History of Nearly Everything. Before I go, I'd like to relay something that Dawkins brings to light later in his book; nature was not designed with us in mind. I'm sure we would all agree with this, but this rather humorous appraisal of the banana is, in fact, serious, sent in by one of Dawkins' creationist correspondents:

Note that the banana:
  1. Is shaped for human hand.
  2. Has non-slip surface.
  3. Has outward indicators of inward contents: Green - too early; Yellow - just right; Black - too late.
  4. Has a tab for removal of wrapper.
  5. Is perforated on wrapper.
  6. Biodegradable wrapper
  7. Is shaped for mouth.
  8. Has a point at top for ease of entry.
  9. Is pleasing to taste buds.
  10. Is curved towards the face to make eating process easy.

Clearly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it you have read 'The Selfish Gene'?

If not then it must be your next stop on your tour of Dawkins's work - Arguably a book with the greatest bio-psycho-social ramifications since 'On the Origins..'

Big fan of your blogging

Dave Green (Greeny)

Robert Iddiols said...

It is next on my list after 'Unweaving the Rainbow', to be followed by 'The Ancestor's Tale'. Unfortunately, on my last trip to the library the book was taken so I've had to recall it through request. Please let me know if there are any other books that should hold a place on my radar. I've also lined up John Maynard Smith's 'The Theory of Evolution'.

I hadn't realised how far my reach has expanded - even people who dislike me are reading my blog now. Fantastic.

James Poulter said...

Rob - read 'The Evolution of Cooperation' by Robert Axelrod. I don't think I have ever mentioned it to you but I reference it all the time in both conversation and papers.

Here here! to TIT FOR TAT.

Robert Iddiols said...

You did mention it to me before but it hadn't registered. I trust your judgement; it's gone on the list. It's going to take me a while to get through these but I'll keep you all updated.