Tuesday 17 June 2008

On being 'Caucasian'

All of you will, in all likelihood, have been made at some point to fill in a survey where one of the defining questions is about ethnicity. If it were up to me, this would not feature at all as a categorising demographic limiter, lest we forget that "race" is a social construct (there is, in fact, the "Human" race, but that's about it). My white readers will, by the process of elimination, have probably been forced to select "Caucasian" as their colour/background, etc. Caucasian seems to have become synonymous with the word "white". Why? Perhaps this is a politically correct balancing act, where whites need to be viewed as something other than "white" in case we say we're being unfairly pigeon-holed on the basis of our skin tone. This is what separates those decrying racism as an act of prejudice, against those decrying racism as an institutionalized social trend. This, it appears to me, purports to those sensitive bed-wetters who wish not to "offend". Caucasians originally inhabited the blocks south-east of continental Europe: Russia through Turkey - Eurasia, defined predominantly during the 18th century. As far as I have traced, I have no direct descent from anywhere near that area; my ancestors stem from Northern Europe, Ireland, Italy, and India. Indeed, the language I speak does not inherit any of the Caucuses many dialects, apart from, arguably, the Arabic numerals that 60% of the world's population likewise employs. Nor do I buy into the Caucasian belief system - putting faith in Zeus and practicing and revering magic. The linkage seems to be more centered on the shape of one's skull than one's skin colour, and I may have a similar skull in terms of size and dimension, but why is the assumption made that I am, therefore, "Caucasian"? The next time you are left with this as your only option, with the typical parenthetical whimsicality: "(white)", leave the fucking question blank.

No comments: