Saturday 19 April 2008

Why the blog?

A-ha! At last, five minutes of uninterrupted peace to update my increasingly sporadic blog. Just enough time then to tell you why I blog. Many people ask me for my motives behind continuing this blog (into its eighth month). Well, dear reader, do not panic, but you are merely an afterthought. Writing is an activity that lends itself to me. I do not necessarily wish to write daily on a public noticeboard, but it is something I feel I have to do. Every day when I glide over articles, publications, and other miscellaneous information, thoughts and opinions come to definite fruition. These, I'm often happy to say, force me to this site as an outlet for my anger, compassion, or opinion. And so, for me, writing is a compulsion; a trait I share with numerous other writers, such as the lay-genius, George Orwell. And, whilst I have your attention, I recently read Christopher Hitchens' Letters to a Young Contrarian, a fantastic book for someone like me who considers themselves a bit of an intellectual rebel. It is the first book that I have ever read without putting down, cover to cover, pleasantly drawing the attention away from the monotony of the Phoenix-to-London flight I was aboard. I highly recommend it as everyday reading, reminding you of your own sanity; think Dostoyevsky's Notes from the Underground as non-fiction.

No comments: