Wednesday 23 April 2008

Stewart Lee

On complaints received by the BBC following a performance by Charlotte Church at the Royal Variety Performance:

"What's more disgusting, right, a woman onstage with her organs hanging outside her body with her skin all inside out singing Andrew Lloyd Webber while thousands of people in the audience and at home vomit, or, the institution of the monarchy?"

Not my words, unfortunately, but the words of the brilliant Stewart Lee. If you harbour any feelings for Stewart Lee, part of the comic genius behind Spitting Image, Alan Partridge, and Jerry Springer The Opera, I recommend you take the time to watch his stand-up performance in Glasgow 2004. Also, if you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll certainly appreciate this short documentary he made about religion in the UK and its discontents.

1 comment:

Brennan said...

This comments relates to an earlier entry, but I'm putting it here at the top of your blog for your convenience... and so you might notice it.

I own the documentary (rockumentary?) "Some Kind of Monster". I bought it and had my aesthetics professor at Vandy lead a discussion about the film. I can't remember all of the discussion, but we should talk about it in study hall. Remind me.