Saturday 12 April 2008

A Non-Contrarian

A month ago a man called John Gray turned his hand to writing an article for The Guardian entitled 'The atheist delusion', supposedly expunging the various faults of the secular fundamentalist arguments. Not being one to surround myself solely with support for my own opinion, I printed out Grays article and proceeded with a relatively open mind. However, the article is not exactly persuasive. For example, Intelligent Design is denoted as a theory, yet Dawkinsian meme-theory is passed off as the next in "a succession of ill-judged Darwinian metaphors". Yet he goes further. According to Gray, Islam is not a significant threat in comparison to that posed by North Korea. Moreover, he even has the audacity to tackle humanist arguments of fair education amongst children. Not teaching religion, says Gray, would be similar to rearing children in a chaste environment, expecting them to grow up "without illicit sexual impulses" (later: "repressing religion is like repressing sex, a self-defeating enterprise"). If you cannot draw your own conclusions from this last statement, how dare you read my blog. In fairness to his article, I suppose someone has to do it. The only successful course of action for these non-contrarians is to pursue the line of free-will, determinism, and self-judgement. This method was employed by the commendable Dinesh D'Souza, whom we've come across before. This angle of reasoning, I'm led to believe, allowed him a small victory over Christopher Hitchens in a recent debate. I tip my hat to the mere suggestion of such a feat. Unfortunately, no video appears to have surfaced on the web but you'll be first to know when t does. Read Gray's article for yourself, and come back in a couple of moths once I've had the time to prepare my own lengthy case against it.

No comments: