Sunday 13 April 2008

Radiohead. Creep. Dickhead.

This weeks edition of Movie Reviews on BBC Radio Five Live saw the temporary departure of Mark Kermode and the return of Hardeep Singh, best known for being fired by Sir Alan Sugar during the comic relief version of The Apprentice. Given this weeks release of Shine a Light, the Rolling Stones 'Rockumentary', Hardeep plundered to the cinema and gave a fairly disappointed review of the film as a whole (an opinion echoed later by the team on Newsnight Review). However, he did then ask the listeners to chime in with their own personal favorite music documentary, apart from the obvious, This is Spinal Tap. One listener emailed in with Some Kind of Monster, a documentary made around Metallica while making their 2003 album, St. Anger. Mr Singh agreed with the sentiments of such listener and so I felt compelled to download and watch it with curious eyes. I certainly was not disappointed, and even though the film lasts for well over two hours, I was gripped to the drama as it unfolded before me. Fascinating. However, had I not been listening to the reviews later as a podcast I would have emailed in with my own suggestion: Radiohead - Meeting People is Easy. Please disregard my undeniable bias and here me out. This is a fantastic piece, far removed from the world of cinema, documentary and rockumentary, this comes as close to artistic film as is possible without breaching the realms of pretension. What follows is a series of circumstances, beautifully encapsulating the band's frame of mind in intricate detail. There is nothing more to say about the film, but anyone who has seen it, and I'm sure some readers of this blog will have, would say exactly what I have. Watch this film.

No comments: