Sunday 20 February 2011

Radiohead Week - 9

Speculation about additional material is spreading, blooming, and flourishing like (sorry) the limbs of a tree. What I find most interesting, among a salad of strong contenders, is this minor slip-up in an interview with Thom from back in August 2010 for 'The Believer'. Yorke said:
No, we’ve actually got a good plan, but I can’t tell you what it is, because someone will rip it off. But we’ve got this great idea for putting things out.
I don't mean to piss liberally on your parade, sir, but releasing a digital download through your website is not an especially new or indeed "great idea". Although, if in fact there was something waiting patiently in the wings... Well, now. If you are a fan, and haven't long given up on my self-satisfied splurge of admiration and sicophancy, read this thread on AtEase (I assume you have an account). I will not have it said, by the way, that speculation about new music comes as a result of disappointment for The King Of Limbs. Quite the reverse. Undoubtedly, there is a poisonous minority who appear intent on pursuing that strain as some kind of insipid ritual to pretension and elitism, but for the main we are Radiohead fans, and this is what we do. We are obsessive. Although, I have to confess, the absence of all but three of the new songs sampled by Thom over the last year has heightened my suspicions somewhat. What has happened to The Present Tense, and Let Me Take Control? They have not been forgotten, let me assure you. If, however, you have given in to temptation and binged on bootlegs on these two, I urge you to reconsider.

No comments: