Wednesday 28 January 2009

P.G. Wodehouse

One of those welcome coincidences has infiltrated my little world. As you well know I've been absorbing myself into Stephen Fry, watching the travel documentaries of Paul Merton, and, as ever, reading the unending flow of superior reason from my master, Christopher Hitchens. One after the other, dear reader, has exposed their total adoration for the works of PG Wodehouse. During one of Merton's trips through Mumbai he discovers a group of Wodehouse enthusiasts who have an extensive appreciation for the work, much like himself. Mr Fry recalls meeting the boy who gave him understanding of the word 'love', while entangling the story with an episode in which he applied aniseed oil to his trouser rolls in the vain hope that passing dogs will follow him down the street. This desire, he claims, was inspired by that similar object of humour, Jeeves. (It's no coincidence that Stephen played Jeeves alongside Hugh Laurie in their television series, Jeeves and Wooster.) And finally, in this months issue of Free Inquiry magazine, Hitchens recounts his series of debates with Douglas Wilson following the publication of their email exchange, regarding religion and morality, entitled, Is Christianity Good for the World?
I found him a man of great kindness and humour with a fondness for P.G.
Wodehouse (an acid test for me).
This fact, however, simply enhances the cornerstone of Hitchens' argument: religion corrupts the otherwise humane. I beg you to see for yourself. Meanwhile, being completely ignorant to the works of Wodehouse, I feel I must do some reading for myself.

No comments: