Wednesday 7 January 2009

King Crimson

My musical horizons have again been stretched after my beloved's old man gave me the remastered version of King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King for Christmas. I didn't know what to say at the time having never heard of King Crimson, but I was flattered, given his disposition, to be the subject of some careful thoughts on his behalf. I think he sees me as a potential protege, someone he can sculpt into what he expects for his daughter. Anyway, the album blew me away. It's decades before its time, a true cornerstone of prog rock. One can only ponder what may have become of King Crimson if they hadn't been drowned under the hype of The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Disappointingly, that was the only record they made together, before various members left or moved on. One member, Fripp, their original guitarist, remains, but I'm under the distinct impression that if I were to pick up any other records I would only feel let down. And so, I shan't. The final arrangement on the album, the title track is a classic, but my obvious favorite is the song Epitaph, well put together here. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard it on Top Gear any time soon, especially with that Vietnam special ruffling a few feathers.

No comments: