Saturday 30 August 2008

Ramble Ramble

As monsoon season makes itself known here in Tucson, I'm forced indoors and, dutifully, I'll post; although, I haven't the faintest idea what about. Well, the Arizona swimming team is being introduced to the crowd tonight during the half-time at the football game. (By the way, if you ponder my opinion on American Football, fear not: it is a pitiful frolic, lamely disguised as a sport with all the veneer of relevance and excitement, when in fact, the games are tedious, indulgent, and, worst of all, far too long.) Allow me my take on the now-altered state of American politics. Whereas before I would gladly maintain my air of overlordship and quibble with the faults and favours of the election fore-runners, I have left my seat on the fence and concluded that Obama must win for the sake of this country. Obama is not necessarily any more fruitful when it comes to agreeable policy (indeed, he seems slightly too lenient when it comes to foreign affairs), but with the future of the United States in mind, in terms of their global reputation, dealing with their antique sense of social superiority, their broadmindedness, and undermining their overall system of backwardness, they would be doing themselves a huge injustice to vote McCain into power. Regardless of whether you fall for Obama's charms, you cannot denounce his ability to lull others into his vision and, in doing so, coax some sense of worthwhile national pride, above and beyond the superficial and overzealous national pride one finds at present. More to follow.

No comments: