Thursday 27 January 2011

Richard Herring on Mastermind

Stewart Lee’s old comrade, Richard Herring followed in the master’s footsteps a few weeks ago and appeared on Celebrity Mastermind. The “celebrity” element of these things are always knocking at the doors of the weights and measurements department, but it’s a welcome aside to the usual mill-running dandies. (As Monkey Dust once postulated, soon celebrities will be produced at a faster rate than at which society can support them.)

Anyway, Herring did remarkably well. However, he was pipped at the post by a frustratingly perfect Hilary Kay, a presenter on Antiques Roadshow. Herring scored a resounding 35, but Kay went on to win with a monumental 36. I understand Herring would have set some sort of record were it not for her ladyship. Alack, when Stewart Lee sat before John Humphrys he came away with the trophy. As with many things, perhaps it just wasn’t to be for his old compatriot. Herring’s chosen topic was the mad monk, Rasputin, which shocked me somewhat. I’m aware that Herring has a degree in modern history from Oxford, but I hadn’t imagined his obsession to go that far. It has since come to light, however, that Herring’s first choice for his chosen field was Spinal Tap. Perhaps the producers deemed that area a touch too narrow.

When I wrote about Lee’s appearance on the show last March I noted how it didn’t surprise me that he won, and especially how his chosen subject demonstrated all the trimmings of an obsessive mind. What is it with comedians, particularly the best ones, and obsessive minds? Is the same true with all stage performers? Am I mistaken, and it’s simply a matter of better and more practiced memory?

Lastly, I feel compelled to point out that Hilary Kay’s chosen subject was The Life and Works of Josiah Wedgwood, which I can’t help but feel puts her in a somewhat advantageous position; she is, after all, a professional expert on the subject. It would almost be like Richard Herring’s chosen subject being The Life and Work of Richard Herring. Obviously, that’s a strange descent into hyperbole, but I have a point on this, I’m just not sure where I’m going with it yet.

PS. - The episode is worth seeking out if only for a predictably dire performance from the worst football pundit of his generation, Mark Lawrenson.

No comments: