Wednesday 5 January 2011

Disabled

I write to bring bad news, dear reader. I had envisaged coming here to throw forth some Stewart Lee videos for your amusement, his entire 2010 DVD recording to be precise. It was all set, YouTube-ized for your consumption. Unfortunately, this cut somewhat close to the bone with Mr. Lee’s distributors, Viacom, and my inbox yesterday was swamped with angry emails from YouTube informing me of copyright violation and that, if I were to retry my little escapade, or do anything else untoward, my account would be summarily terminated. Apparently, a complaint had been leveled against your pitiful blost, which does seem to beg the question; would Mr. Lee himself be behind such a protest? Would he condone a complaint by his distributors? After all, all my other, older Lee videos remain intact, and there are plenty of other clips of his latest show online. I did ponder on this blog before Christmas whether my conscience could handle a latent reprisal from our hero, especially after his outburst in which he called pirates “cunts”. A certain Thom Lowe and a certain Master Dutton roundly reassured me on Christmas Eve that it was about time I put my morals to one side, suck it up, and slap the bloody thing on YouTube. Ah. How well that turned out. Even so, we all agreed that, surely, Stewart Lee must realize or at least consider the possibility that the availability of his material online does in fact increase his audience, boosting his ticket sales, and proving more financially viable in the long-run. I would argue that anything worth its salt does stand up to this watermark when cut loose on the web. The cream always rises to the top, and all that rot. For now I am unsure as to what to do, although I still urge you to go here, and download the show properly through a torrent, or, if you’re gay, buy it here.

No comments: