Monday 19 October 2009

god an' that

The blog is spluttering away like an infant but I'm currently tied down writing a lengthy philosophy essay discussing what I consider to be the best contemporary argument for god's existence. The prompt does seem rather pointed upon reflection. (Why not ask what the worst argument is and why?) In consummate style and poise that comes only from years of repeated adventures under the cosh, the essay is due tomorrow and I have barely begun. I don't quite know why I'm bothering; my first essay for the class, entitled "Does God Exist?" received a 'B', or, in American-speak, 8 out of 10. The grading was pretty inexplicable, which I'm sure you'll have already presumed. At the time I was quite tempted to post the essay, indicating the points where the instructor made a mark or a comment and refuting them. Perhaps I should have done this with him personally at the time, but I was too insulted to approach him. Nevertheless, here is the first paragraph of that essay. Just ask for more if you're so inclined.
In my experience, to ask someone who believes in God what exactly they mean by ‘God’ is to hear of a concept, a notion, or an entity that one had not previously entertained. Indeed, because the principles and bases underlying the potential for God’s existence are so dynamic, one individual’s perception of God is regularly removed from another’s, not to mention one’s own. This quality, as I have described, lends the potential for God’s existence its great strength, but also its great weakness.

1 comment: