Wednesday 29 October 2008

The Online World - An Update

McCain seems to have lost the election in my momentary blogging absence. Good. My Father, David, has been in Tucson to visit this week, which is why I've somewhat lapsed from my rigour. He predicts a "landslide" victory for Obama. Slate magazine have published their personal voting habits: something that's quite unique in the publishing domain. Fair play to them - they're an online outlet and, therefore, pioneers in pushing back boundaries of journalism. Not surprisingly, fifty-five out of their sixty staffers are going to vote for Obama, with only one voting for McCain, who gave a rather lengthy and convoluted explanation as to why. It does make me question my allegiance; should I be reading a self-proclaimed left-wing publication that will inevitably lead to subconscious bias? Who cares. This seems to embody a trend being set among educated America - Obama. However, let us remind ourselves that people like this still exist somewhere. Meanwhile, Bryan Appleyard has blogger's elbow and has probably suffered sun-stroke in snowy England after his first exposure to lights in some months. He has left a certain character in charge, "Brit", who, upon first impressions, seems worthy of our undivided attention until Bryan returns. Discovering a good blog is a quirky little perk that has the ability to transcend your normal reading habits. Whereas a poor headline might make you skip the article, a blog incurs a certain amount of brand loyalty. You feel part of a mini-online community, and you feel directly responsible for a blogger's success. If it wasn't for my dear readers, you, reading this now, I would have long since turned my nose elsewhere. This is a delightful phenomena that happened to me just moments ago when I scoured Michael Tomasky's blog documenting the many angles and perspectives on the American election. It's a great series of snippets, not centering too closely on extremes or merely quoting others, combining video diaries from around the country and succinct appraisals of certain aspects from the campaign trail. Video blogging is something that appeals to me on many levels; I've always fancied myself the orator, so perhaps its a natural step. Everyone is doing it nowadays, from the much revered Pat Condell, to the timeless film critic, Mark Kermode, to the sweet-talking American, Michael Tomasky. Maybe after Christmas...

No comments: