Wednesday 10 September 2008

Palin Again

The aforementioned covers of Time magazine in the past couple of weeks have raised eyebrows left and right, literally, but this week they've again succumbed to my presumed journalistic pre-glorification. Sarah Palin's profile fills the front cover, posing as some sort of art-house modelle. Somewhat surprising that this picture wasn't used, whether real or not, ask yourself why? Naturally, her orthodox Christianity worries me, and she has a lot to answer to on her flip-flopping on the "Bridging issue". However, Hitchens has dug up an interesting snippet from a questionnaire she answered before her 2006 election as governor of Alaska (which people describe as being typically Canadian, yet having all the signature nuances of globalized America - shopping channels, Burger King, etc.). She was asked to comment on the phrase 'Under God' used during the Pledge of Allegiance. She responded: "Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers [it's] good enough for me, and I'll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance." Obviously, this only compounds my religious fears, and it's interesting to note that she clearly doesn't know her history; the 'under God' section of the pledge was only inserted during the 50s, much to the annoyance of the constitutional purists. Palin has become a parody of bad soap opera, influencing enough of the fickle, female, Clinton supporters to seemingly switch their political allegiance and vote Republican for one reason only - an all-American Goddess. Nancy Gibbs sums this all up better than I ever could in her essay for Time: "It's hard to watch an accomplished woman walk the tightrope under lights this bright and with stakes this high; we don't want it to look too easy, but we don't want to see her fall."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well HELLO Rob,
This is Mrs Dericco in Sunnyvale! How are you? I was so pleased to receive your very nice Thank you note, and I am remiss in not writing to you before. I found your blogs not long after you left, and have really enjoyed reading them. I SO enjoy your vocabulary!(-:
As to MS. Palin...my god are we not pathetic!!!! I do not think that the women that were supporting Ms. Clinton are jumping on to the McCain/Palin band wagon. On the contrary, I believe that the Republicans/who are loath to mention their affiliation with their gang...have pandered to the gun slinging NRA people and the Right to lifer Base that was reluctant to support McCain because he has not been willing to be their lackey in the past...all though he seems more than willing now. I believe the numbers are coming from the right wing evangelical base that was not going to vote for McCain or Obama.
I thought Palins interview was abysmal and frightening...
The fact that she had no idea what the BUSH Doctrine was, well...what is there to say...as this is what has gotten us into this mess...
Well I could go onnnnnn, but I won't!
I have really enjoyed reading your blog! Hope to hear from you.
Beth Dericco
b4dericco@sbcglobal.net