Tuesday 16 October 2007

The Top Gear Smear

Top Gear have once again found themselves to be the victim of humourless viewers who don't really have any idea why they're watching the show in the first place. This, following the minute web of complaints launched after they sparked up a pipe on set. All the anger appears to be targeted at their supposed disregard for law and order: smoking in an enclosed public space. Now, as far as I'm concerned, they are an entertainment form and should be allowed free reign rather than censorship. Likewise in the theatre. What I would say, however, is that these middle-aged presenters embody modern day icons - they have an almost cult fanbase, not just amongst their middle-aged counterparts. And so, a lot of teenagers interested in stunts, fast cars, or just good television, look up to these guys like I do, and I abhor smoking, it revolts me. In my opinion, these individuals should acknowledge their responsibility as cultural leaders and swap the fags for better gags.